Exterior Lights in the Drive + PIR as Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Question: Can I use an PIR sensor as the only switch for exterior lights in my front drive.

Background: I'm about to start groundworks on both the patio and the drive in the next few weeks. When I win the lotto, I'll be putting a garden room at the end of the garden - which is about 60m away from the consumer unit. So I'll be laying 3x16 swa and cat6a F/FTP now for whenever I need it in future. I will be feeding both wires in through the exterior wall at the side of the house; and along the floor of a room (a converted garage), and then through an internal wall to where the consumer unit is.
As I don't need this for a few years, I wont be connecting either end to anything.

But i was thinking that if am laying swa to the back garden, could I lay some swa to the front garden also for garden lights. Our perimeter is about 10 x 8 x 10. Since putting a switch by the front door would be a lot of work - and I still would forget to put it on, I wondered if I could put a PIR on the wall, within the run of the swa to act as a switch?

Any major problems with doing it this way?

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Yes, there could be problems.

You might want/need to turn it off.

Especially if it gets wet and/or develops a fault which might cause other items to be disconnected by the protective device(s).

You should use a double pole switch.

Yes, there could be problems.

You might want/need to turn it off.

Especially if it gets wet and/or develops a fault which might cause other items to be disconnected by the protective device(s).

You should use a double pole switch.
As well as the double pole switch, you could also consider a smart relay.
It would add complexity and another point of failure, but would allow programming and remote switch off if the PIR was stuck on all night!
Edit:
Think before posting! Would require a two output smart relay! One in parallel with PIR and one in series for full functionality! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
When I win the lotto, I'll be putting a garden room at the end of the garden

As that is a very unlikely event I wouldn't bother to do anything!

And even if it did happen you would probably move to a nicer house anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both of you for your reply.

To be more accurate - I’m only planning to do the laying now. I’ll certainly be getting an electrician to do the work.

Can I ask if I have the following correct:

Consumer Unit to
SWA to
Double Pole Switch to
SWA to
PIR to
Garden lights to
Gland Termination.

In other words, will/could the double pole switch be on the wall just below the consumer unit and then the swa will exit the house, then connect into the PIR and then into the garden lights; and then terminate with a gland.

Is that right?

thanks again for your time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back