Exterior plasterboard wall options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am going to remove the uPVC front porch from my house and hopefully make it look the like the attached photo. There is a front door already in that position so shouldn't be too much effort. However, if you look at the photo the bit I have dashed in red is actually a stud wall and finished in plasterboard, and this joins the wall where the original arch would have been. The previous owner clearly removed the brick wall for some reason.

What are my options? I know I cannot leave it like that. I was thinking rip off the plasterboard, insulate between the joists and then use something like cement board and some kind of cladding? Or prime and render the cement board? Or should I try and build a brick wall? The latter is beyond my ability I think.

Appreciate the help.

Also one more question. If I lay 12mm hardiebacker on fairly flat floorboards (so that I can tile on it), what 'thinset' should I be buying to lay the hardiebacker on before screwing? Is it just like mortar / tile adhesive?

Thanks

Attachments

• porch wall.JPG
    porch wall.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 108
Sponsored Links
Sadly no, it is a stud wall and on the other side is the wall of my living room!

BUMP. Any ideas? Insulation of some sort between studs, then vapour barrier, then some type of cladding? What do I do where the cladding meets the floor? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You've got the right idea in your OP.

For insulation, a foil backed board (celotex or similar) as thick as you can between the studs. It would benefit from a 25mm layer of the same across the inside face of the studs before plasterboarding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back