PLASTERBOARD ON EXTERIOR WALL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some advice please before l proceed.
My conservatory has been dot and dabbed straight onto the exterior wall, and skimmed.
There are areas which feel damp and the plasterboard has gone quite soft.
Should l take it all off back to the brick and seal the brickwork with something, then re board it or build a stud wall in front of it?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20240116_093139.jpg
    20240116_093139.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240116_093127.jpg
    20240116_093127.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240116_093109.jpg
    20240116_093109.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 21
Sponsored Links
Is the brick wall solid/single skin? You said "exterior wall" but I'm not sure if by that you mean it lacks a cavity..

Sure looks like you have some leaks to resolve

Is the brick wall solid/single skin? You said "exterior wall" but I'm not sure if by that you mean it lacks a cavity..

Sure looks like you have some leaks to resolve
It's double skin brick wall. Not sure about cavity insulation. The side of the conservatory.

As it's already ferked, pull it all down and see what's going on behind.

Could be lack of cavity tray, poor flashing/abutment detailing where the conservatory meets the house, or just damp from the air, a conservatory in winter can be a cold, damp place if you don't have any background heating to drive out excess moisture.

Leaving the wall as bare brick would probably have been the best option in the first place, there's no point in plasterboarding inside a conservatory and treating it as if it's a room in the house.

Sponsored Links
Double skin brick wall sounds as though there's no cavity to me, (not a builder). To create a cavity and insulate it you would need to rip out the plaster board and build a stud frame with a breathable barrier, before re-boarding and plastering over.
Someone with more tech knowledge will probably come along and give more specific information later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back