Exterior render - definitely need 2 coats ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -

I'm about to render the brick exterior of my girlfriend's house, as she's trying to sell it and it is just not shifting. Her muppet ex-husband replaced some of the windows with smaller ones, and he in-filled the gaps (badly) with breezeblock, and it looks blooming awful. So, I reckon a nice white rendered finish is the best bet.

The trouble is - it's a big house, and I'd be rendering it basically to sell it... and I'll be doing it on my own. And so of course I am asking myself - is a scratch coat absolutely essential ?

I know, there's an ethical question about selling someone a badly rendered house, so - professional renderers, please don't flame me for doing your trade a dis-service LOL - but... what's the harm in fact, of using just a single coat, as long as it contains waterproofer etc ? I know normally you make the scratch coat stronger than the final coat (eg 4:1 versus 5:1) but, other than that, what does having two coats actually achieve ?

Thanks in advance for any comments / advice -

Cheers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back