Exterior secondary glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have done searches on Google and here for exterior secondary glazing and haven't found much at all. I have 2 sash windows that are deliberately sealed shut, one of which also has obscure film. Our other sash windows have all been refitted with double glazing, but I don't want to spend out for new frames and glass when they are not going to be used.

Another option is interior secondary glazing but again, although windows are not going to be opened it seems a shame to lose the access to the interior window sill and spoil the look of it. Instead I would like to put the secondary glazing on the outside. It isn't overseen and wouldn't be obvious from either the outside or inside.

Ideally I would like a large double glazing unit to cover the whole of the outside but I imagine I would need a second frame to hold this. However, perhaps perspex sheet screwed and sealed to the frame front would work.

Is there any practical or legal reason why I can't do this. I think I will have to do something about condensation or ventilation. One of the windows is on the first floor.

Any advice would be great

Mark

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back