Fixing (secondary) glazing panels to windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some aluminium framed [secondary] glazing panels that are hung on nylon hinges. After some 20? years the fixings on the aluminium frame [that slot on to the hinges in the sash window frame] have given up.

Looking for some way of fixing the panels to the sash window frames. Perhaps some metal 'z' shaped clips that can be screwed in to sash window frames and press the glazed frame against the windows.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Here are a few images I have taken of the panel. An aluminium frame with glass.

The problem is that the 'hinge' on the frame has snapped off on one of the panels.

Img0002.jpg

Img0003.jpg

Img0001.jpg

Img0004.jpg

Img0005.jpg

I trust that it is clear. If not please ask for more information/pics.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Maybe some kind of large screw-in metal eyelet? Or even a loop of picture hanging or other stiff wire, somehow fixed to the frame. A small hole drilled in the ali frame might be useful.

The plastic/nylon fixings are not robust enough to bear the wight of the glass and therefore I was looking to seat the lower panel on small angle brackets to take the weight of the frame.

I was then looking to secure the sides to the panel with clips [similar to those used to fix canvas to a picture frame : http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/CANVAS-OFFSETS-9mm-100,8756.aspx ] and that could be clamped on to the aluminium frame and screwed/pressed down.

Perhaps will have to settle for [clumsy] drilling a hole and screwing the frame to the architrave ? of the window. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back