Secondary Glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was just wondering if anyone had any comments generally on secondary glazing? Perhaps on particular products?

Specifically, I'd be interested in secondary glazing which is toughened K, and a balanced vertlcal slider.

One question I have is what is the difference between a balanced vertical slider and a vertical slider which is not balanced?

I've noticed the secondary glazing can have uPVC frames. Though if the point is to retain original timber sash frames and original internal timber surrounds, it seems to defeat one purpose if secondary glazing with uPVC frames are installed? Any comments on this?

Apparently the frames can also be made from aluminium and also hardwood.

Sponsored Links
Our particular secondary Glazing, is an Aluminium frame ( which can be powder coated any RAL colour you wish , for a price ), which is mounted on a Hardwood outerframe. This can either be ' face fixed ' ( screwed directly to the exisitng frame, or ' reveal fixed ( which means it can be screwed to the reveal, allowing a greater air gap, obvioulsy if you have very little reveal this option is limited)
There is an ideal distance for increased soundproofing, which if my memory is correct , is about 120mm -150mm away from the existing frame.

Tough Pilk K glass will aid in the retention of heat.

Balanced Vertical Sliders work in a very similiar way to existing wooden sliding sash windows, except instead of weights , they use a spring system, which is sprung to take into account each different size of slider.
NON - Balanced will rely on you sliding the window sash up and then placing pegs in to the outer frame to keep the sash up.

Sponsored Links
Can you use k glass in single glazing? Thought it could only be used in a unit

Can you use k glass in single glazing? Thought it could only be used in a unit

Providing it is the ' Hardcoat ' Pilk K glass , yes...only thing you have to be aware of is that the surface will scratch very easily, therefore , in secondary glazing, it would need to face the existing window to minimise the need for cleaning, as it won't be open to as much dirt.

Pilkingtons when it first came out said you couldn't use it Single glazed, but we left a piece outside our workshops for six months, in all sorts of weather, brought it back in , ran it through the glass washer , and you would have thought it was a new piece of glass. However ' Softcoat ' Low e glasses are a big NO in single glazed format, as they are affected by atmospheric conditions ( even breathing on it , and not immediately cleaning it will damgae a softcoat glass! )

I imagine one issue with secondary glazing, even the balanced vertical slider, is cleaning the pane closest to the window.

I stumbled across this frameless secondary glazing, which appears to solve this problem with the secondary glazing folding.

http://glassshutter.co.uk/

I imagine one issue with secondary glazing, even the balanced vertical slider, is cleaning the pane closest to the window.

I stumbled across this frameless secondary glazing, which appears to solve this problem with the secondary glazing folding.

http://glassshutter.co.uk/

Interesting.

Watching the video, I wonder about heat loss (& sound loss) through the gaps between glass at the hinges and and where the panes meet...

BTW, any idea of costs?

Thanks.

Most modern secondary glazing systems can be selected with a tilt-back facility so you can get to clean the inner panes of both the upper and lower panes

Providing it is the ' Hardcoat ' Pilk K glass , yes...only thing you have to be aware of is that the surface will scratch very easily, therefore , in secondary glazing, it would need to face the existing window to minimise the need for cleaning, as it won't be open to as much dirt.

Pilkingtons when it first came out said you couldn't use it Single glazed, but we left a piece outside our workshops for six months, in all sorts of weather, brought it back in , ran it through the glass washer , and you would have thought it was a new piece of glass. However ' Softcoat ' Low e glasses are a big NO in single glazed format, as they are affected by atmospheric conditions ( even breathing on it , and not immediately cleaning it will damgae a softcoat glass! )

I'd agree with God, thought K had a shelf life as it would eventually rust, every days a school day as they say!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back