Secondary double glazing - oriel windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In this old house, the sitting room has two oriel windows – sort of bay windows projecting out beyond the external wall. Single-glazed on 3 sides, uninsulated above & below. The window sills are about 1m by 70cm, so as you can imagine they let plenty of cold draughts into the room. Condensation is bad.
If I fixed secondary glazing direct to the window frames, it would leave all that sill area and corresponding ceiling area uninsulated.
My plan: install secondary double glazing across the interior opening (the largest is about 1m wide, 60cm high) to isolate the whole portion that projects externally. I’m fairly certain this would fix the draughts – but does anyone have a view on whether it would cure or at least improve the condensation?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
I don't know about the condensation, but your idea of doing the whole partition is much better than just the glazing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back