Exterior slate sealent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had my patio tiled with Brazilian Riven slate and now need to seal it before grouting and not sure what to use. Internally we have used a wax but I've been reading this isn't great and it's certainly no good for outdoors therefore I'm looking for a product that I can apply to the exterior tiles to stop them marking and that will leave them with dark wet look.

If afterwards the exterior slates look really good I would consider stripping the wax off the interior tiles and applying the substance used externally on the interior tiles to match.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Either lithofin MN stainstop or lithofin slate seal.

stainstop gives a natural look, slate seal adds a sheen that can be built up. For external use i'd lean toward the stainstop.

Other products from LTP also provide similar qualities.

Which wax did you use? i'm not aware of any wax thats suitable for slate?

Sponsored Links
Just had my delivery of Lithofin Slate-seal and on the packaging it says "for indoor use" so I checked the retailers site and it says 'exterior', gave them a call and they refereed me to Lithofin who said their only product suitable for exterior use is their 'Stain-stop' but this wont give me the wet finish I require. They also said non of their products are suitable for applying this time of year so I have two issues. My slates haven't been grouted yet and wondered if it was bad to leave that until the the spring/summer and what product can I get to give me the required we look?

Thanks.

OMG get this just spoke to Lithofin and pointed out their technical documentation states it's suitable for exterior use and they said "yeah I know that's a mistake so we're changing it" I asked how long it had been wrong for and they said "quite sometime" I asked what about people who have used it based on your technical documentation and they said "if they didn't ring us first then there will be lots of people who have used it" they were kinda light hearted about it which annoyed me as I luckily found out before using it, others might be in a different situation...

Spoke to LTP, very helpful. They said laying tiles with sand and cement means efflorescence will happen due to the calcium in the cement so they said it would be good to leave them for 3 months over the winter to get wet without a seal as sealing it now would trap the white film in and would look terrible. So I will leave the tiles without grout and free to nature for a few months and apply LTP Colour intensifier when the weather is better next year.

Just hope the tiles/cement survive our winter without any grout :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back