exterior stair case

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im quoting for an exterior staircase at the moment, only ever made interior ones from hemlock up until now.

Any thoughts/advise on species of timber, finishing and anything else I should bear in mind?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you been asked to price for a full timber staircase?
Does your client have any drawings or a design in mind?
Is it just a few steps or is it a conventional stair going up a few landing levels? More info required.

I'd imagine an all wooden external stair would be a very high maintenance item. What about a steel stair clad in wood to give the appearance of a timber stair then if through time if there was any deteriation in the timber it could be easily replaced. Wet wood as you probably know is very slippy so the treads at least would need a non slip surfacing applied to them.

HTH

Alan

hi

Thanks for your reply

the stair case is to a listed building so i believe an exact replica needs to be made.

the stairs are a very simple staight flight of 13 steps to the first floor with a small landing at the top and long posts down to the floor.

?

If it's for a listed building the conservation officer may well have a preference for the type of wood if not using exactly what its replacing anyway.

Sponsored Links
I would recomend a hardwood (or VAC-VAC pressure treated softwood) open riser staircase. Also look out for 'non slip' inserts for the treads as they can be very slippy when wet.

alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back