Exterior UPVC Door has expanded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! My 3 year old UPVC double glazed front door has become increasingly sticky to open and close, until this morning after I opened it I found the door wouldnt close at all - the edge of the door appears to be a fraction too wide for the frame - obviously this wasnt the case when I closed it! I had to get the door forced closed, and when opened, a tiny sliver of wood had been scrapped off the side of the door, obviously the only way it would shut. Can anyone suggest what I can do?

Sponsored Links
Sliver of wood off a pvc door? Explain. Plastic doors will not expand - more likely to be a loosening door frame problem, or sloppy hinges.

The door is fitted with a triple point mortis lock, so when you open the door, there is a strip of wood, running down the height of the door between the two plastic panels, which houses the 3 locks. It was a small bit of this which was shaved off.

That could be your problem then, in that the strip of wood has got wet and expanded. Try sanding it down along the length and sealing it with varnish or similar.

Sponsored Links
suzimcd said:
when you open the door, there is a strip of wood, running down the height of the door between the two plastic panels, which houses the 3 locks. It was a small bit of this which was shaved off.
Not sure what you mean, are you saying you have a upvc door with a wooden frame ?

No the door itself is plastic, but along the edge where the locks are, there is a wooden block, which runs the length of the door. The locks are fitted into this. Its only about 5mm wide, but it is definately this which is causing the problem.

ive seen plastic clad wooden particle board doors but ive never seen a door with a wooden strip added seems to defy logic as the only bit of the door you will have to treat paint whatever :cry:

Don't mean to offend but are you sure it is wood and not metal?

Definately wood, as I've said, a small splinter came off when we first forced the door closed. I assume it was added to the original door to accommodate the three point lock....the door was part of the original build (its a fairly new house) so the frame was built to accommodate it. What would be best to seal it once its sanded down?

when the door is opened try pushing the door from the lock edge back towards the top hinge is there any play i would try to see if the hinge has moved out of position before touching the wood
if the hinges are visible when the door is shut if there are no visible screws
gently lever off the plastic cover and check and adjust screws as nessisery

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back