Exterior wall lights with ambient light sensor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to install 3 or 4 exterior lights around the sides of the house which automatically come on when it starts to get dark and stay on until daylight.

I first considered having them all powered from the same point which had a timer plug on it, but this would then need adjusting throughout the year.

Other than the 500W security light variety, I cannot find any regular wall lights (100W) that are light activated.

Sponsored Links
I have seen many 500W floods with PIR's, but never any with photocells.

But there are many fittings with photocells built-in in various different designs (drum, bulkhead, coach lantern etc) or you can buy a stand alone photo cell and wire the output to ordinary fittings.

Waste of electricity.

Waste of lamp life.

Bad for the environment in terms of energy consumption and increased manufacturing, transport and disposal of lamps.

Don't do it.

Don't do what?

Lamp life can be increased by using CFL's.

A lot of comfort and security can be drawn from all-night illumination, especially for the elderly. Why do sheltered housing complexes use CFL's on a photocell?

I think your response is a bit OTT, Ban....

Sponsored Links
all night lighting is one thing but you sure as hell don't want to be doing it with halogens or normal incandescents.

incandescents can start quickly (which is a big advantage) but have a terriblly high power consumption when running you need to be using stuff like CFLS or sodium lamps or LEDS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back