Exterior wall tiles - what is underneath ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - in the process of purchasing a house built in the 1980's - the top half of which is covered with clay (?) tiles. My question is what is under it?! Looking at the window recesses it would seem there is not much more than 6 inches of thickness between the inside wall and where the tile batten would sit. Another clue is the bottom 10 rows or so of tiles fan out wider so as to appear to be about 4 inches further away to presumably meet the thicker cavity wall of the ground floor ?

So could i assume then, that the ground floor is probably a cavity and the top is single block covered with wall tiles ? If so, any potential problems with that ?

Ironically, I am also considering a more modern house built about 15 years ago which also has external tiles top half - however these appear to be uniform all the way up and the window recesses are wider so presumably brick & block all the way but if so WHY tile too? Surely adds considerably to build cost

How can I be sure whats underneath before survey ?

Thanks in advance
Snolly

Sponsored Links
you cant be sure whats underneath

vertical tile hanging can fit on various wall types, modern houses are likely to be either blockwork or timber studwork underneath, usually the tiles are fitted to tile battens but they can be nailed straight on.

a stud wall construction may be studwork with ply sheathing, then vertical battens for a 25mm cavity and then horizontal tile battens.

But no issues with mortgage companies then? I'm more concerned with the apparent lack of thickness on the upper walls as apart from anything else I'm thinking it'll be cold. Guess its common practice though as it appears to be very common place. Would just be nice to know if they're nailed to double block work or a single wall....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back