Exterior Window Trims

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I hope this is okay to post. I had someone replace the window trims on an outbuilding however, it has started to rot. I’ve built fences and gates in the past and would say I’m relatively “handy”, but I was under the impression that the corners should be mitred in instances like this? I may be wrong. My question is if there is a particular kind of wood for this install I should be looking for? It will be painted but I will treat the wood prior to painting also. I have attached pictures. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4768.jpeg
    IMG_4768.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4769.jpeg
    IMG_4769.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4770.jpeg
    IMG_4770.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4771.jpeg
    IMG_4771.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4772.jpeg
    IMG_4772.jpeg
    332 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
The windows for log cabins need to allow growth and shrinkage of the logs through the seasons. they also need to be kept dry and painted properly. It looks to me as if the primer has lifted there on most of those bits, so cannot tell if it is untreated timber or badly prepared. Ours has similar windows but has no sign of failure yet after many years.

Last edited:
The existing frame just looks like it's butt jointed, no sign of any mitring, so the repair doesn't seem to different in that respect.

It looks like all you've got for your money there is that someone cut a piece of timber to approximately the right length and then screwed it on to the front, something that you could have done yourself if you're "handy"! I would have at least primed it before fixing it on.

It's interesting that the window frame seems to have rotted more than the timbers around and below it, eg IMG_4771.

It looks like the guy has screwed the timber to the log cabin rather than the lower part of the window "box".

And why did he totally ignore the rotten timber on the vertical section in the last image?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back