Exterior wood - stain or varnish, but not both?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm refurbishing a cast iron bench with some new wood slats, and someone told me I should use either stain or varnish, but not both. Any reason why? Surely the stain would be for colour while the varnish would be for protection, or does it not work like that?

The wood is mahogany so once I see it I may not want to stain it in any case, depends how naturally dark it is.

Sponsored Links
"Stain" is commonly used to mean a tinted, somewhat flexible, often porous, low-gloss finish. It is preferable to varnish outdoors because it is not so prone to crack and craze with the natural expansion and contraction of the wood, and is easier to sand and recoat.

Are you thinking of wood dye such as Colron? This is a colour not a protective coating, and can be very good for bringing out the natural beauty, and blending together pieces of wood that may look dissimilar. The spirit based dyes are much better than the water ones, and can be used over Cuprinol and other preservers, and after drying can be treated with stain, oil or varnish.

IMO you get a better and more even appearance by tinting the wood with dye and protecting it with a clear finish, than by trying to achieve both with a coloured stain.

Just checked the cupboard and we have access to Rustins yacht oil, and Ronseal Hardwood Garden Furniture stain, which does look like it has protective properties so probably doesn't need the varnish on top. The wood guy recommended just teak oil, to let the wood breathe and be less prone to cracking and flaking than with a varnish.

What would you do? Am happy to buy another product if necessary, it'll only be a small tin.

Sponsored Links
Where do I claim my £10 for mentioning 'OSMO' on social media ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back