External brickwork height wallplate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just after some clarity, im having a lean to side extension on my house built, i have got trades in separate as it was a lot cheaper to do it this way. So the
Bricklayer has finished the brickwork and bedded in the wallplate for the joiner to do the carpentry work for the roof. But the joiner is now saying the external brickwork is 2 or 3 courses too high as he has no
20201231_093748.jpg
clearance for the woodwork. And these course of brick need taken down. From looking at the photo does this sound right. to me it will look a little odd just any thoughts. Internal height with wall plate is 175mm heigher than external he

Sponsored Links
How has that bricklayer managed to cut up that gable without having a rafter in place?

Just get the carpenter to put a rafter in place and carefully knock off a course or two. 'Carefully' is the key word.

That wall should have been covered to protect from frost and rain, to prevent damage to mortar and efflorescence later

You wont know until a rafter is positioned. It might need one or two courses coming off, and then one putting back on.

Just take off enough for one rafter to start with.

Sponsored Links
Hi so this is how the joiner has left the job today, i told him the gap between rafter and brickwork was too big he said nonsense just get a bigger fascia is he right.
20210109_141437.jpg

He's knocked too much off. If you told him to be careful, and just test one rafter first then charge him for the cost of replacing the course of bricks.

This is the problem when you think getting individual trades in is cheaper. None of them are bothered with the impact on other trades, it's always the other trades that will fix their mistakes and the client pays for it.

Yes i told him that before started, he then sent a message saying 2 courses have to be removed, i will charge him for the brickwork to be replaced as ive not paid him and is refusing to admit the problem. Thankyou for the reply.
I had to get separate trades in as all the roofers i had to quote wouldnt do the timber work unfortunately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back