Lintel calculation... is my understanding / maths totally wrong?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm just trying to get your advice as to whether a concrete lintel is sufficient for my needs as my number crunching is at odds with a steel RSJ supplier who is recommending one of their own products.

It's a bit long-winded but I wanted to show you my full workings.

I would like to cut a 1000mm doorway through the ground floor of a two-storey gable wall constructed with a double skin of Victorian red brick. For clarity, the wall is no longer external since an extension was built onto it many years ago. The wall has no openings above where I would like to cut through and rises to a pitched roof of clay tiles. The first floor joists which sit immediately above the proposed lintel position (ignore the rubbish scale to my sketch below!) support a 3.6m x 3m bedroom with a ceiling height of 2.3m. Since the bedroom ceiling extends above the wallplates the loft space is only 1.5m. The loft is not boarded and remains empty.

I have a drawing to illustrate:

lintel.jpg

So... I calculated the load as follows:

Height of ground floor above lintel = 0
Height of first floor above lintel = 2.3m
Height of loft = 1.5m
Total wall height = 3.8m
Total area of column above 1m opening = 3.8m2

60 bricks per m2 @ 2kg per brick = 120kg per m2
Total weight of column above opening = 456kg
456kg x 10 = 4560 Newtons or 4.56kN

I then read about multiplying by 1.6 to account for live load on the first floor; not sure where I read it but it stuck in my head and may explain the discrepancy if that's totally wrong!

Load adjusted to account for first floor joists = 7.29kN

So, I went looking at specs for concrete lintels and found that I could buy a 100mm x 65mm x 1500mm lintel (giving me a 250mm end bearing each side) with a load bearing capacity of 9.84kN/m, a fair amount over what I calculated my requirements to be. Obviously being double skin I was going to install two lintels, one on each skin at the same height.

However, when I gave the same sketch to Catnic for their input they came back and suggested I use one of their steel products across both skins with a SWL of 49kN but they didn't supply their full calculations.

Clearly there is a huge difference in me thinking a 9.84kN/m lintel is sufficient when someone else is recommending a 49kN steel!

Where have I gone wrong in my fag-packet calcs?

*Bbefore anyone says, "Just ask an SE", I prefer to try and get a good grasp of a problem before proceeding hence the question here. Full calcs from a pro will be obtained to satisfy BC when the work is started.

Sponsored Links
A much simpler way is ... a concrete lintel spanning 1m will hold up anything you will normally encounter in a domestic setting. And you wont need calulations for the BCO to prove it.

Bear in mind that if this is in a wall, and there is just wall above, then only the equilateral triangle of wall above the opening is the load.

A much simpler way is ... a concrete lintel spanning 1m will hold up anything you will normally encounter in a domestic setting. And you wont need calulations for the BCO to prove it.

Bear in mind that if this is in a wall, and there is just wall above, then only the equilateral triangle of wall above the opening is the load.

That’s certainly a simpler way of doing it Woody!

Out of interest then... was my calculation correct based on the information I gave?

Sponsored Links
Out of interest then... was my calculation correct based on the information I gave?
No, because you assumed the load was the column of bricks above the lintel, whereas in fact it's the triangle of bricks above the lintel. As Woody said.

No, because you assumed the load was the column of bricks above the lintel, whereas in fact it's the triangle of bricks above the lintel. As Woody said.

Gotcha, I thought perhaps Woody was boiling things down to “real world” facts. I think it’s fair to say that in occasion BC (or rather building regs) focuses on “worst case to the power of 10” and ignores what actually happens in the real world.

Thanks both!

Strictly, the vertical panel of wall above the opening plus any floor/roof directly above and on the section of wall is used to work out the load. This is because loads may be coming down vertically due to the type of construction or other factors or even diagonally from significant point loading .

But barring any obvious non-standard loading, you can assume a triangle of load just above the lintel.

Assuming working out the full panel as you have done ......

Walls are about 5.5 kN/m2.
So a UDL would be (h x w) so 2.3m x 1m = 2.3m2 x 5.5 so 12.65 kN/m

Your floor is too much. Allow 0.65 kN/m2 for a timber floor and ceiling

So the UDL would be (1/2 the span of the floor) x (the width of the opening) so 1.5 x 1 = 1.5m2 x 0.65 = 0.975 ...... say 1 kN/m
Multiply by 1.5 live load = 1.5 kN/m

You would use partial safety factors for dead and live loads. These are 1.4 and 1.6 when doing steel beams, but I am not sure if the same for concrete or not.

Strictly, the vertical panel of wall above the opening plus any floor/roof directly above and on the section of wall is used to work out the load. This is because loads may be coming down vertically due to the type of construction or other factors or even diagonally from significant point loading .

But barring any obvious non-standard loading, you can assume a triangle of load just above the lintel.

Assuming working out the full panel as you have done ......

Walls are about 5.5 kN/m2.
So a UDL would be (h x w) so 2.3m x 1m = 2.3m2 x 5.5 so 12.65 kN/m

Your floor is too much. Allow 0.65 kN/m2 for a timber floor and ceiling

So the UDL would be (1/2 the span of the floor) x (the width of the opening) so 1.5 x 1 = 1.5m2 x 0.65 = 0.975 ...... say 1 kN/m
Multiply by 1.5 live load = 1.5 kN/m

You would use partial safety factors for dead and live loads. These are 1.4 and 1.6 when doing steel beams, but I am not sure if the same for concrete or not.

Thanks for the detailed response Woody.

I am slightly confused as to what to do then since your calcs above suggest a total load of 14kN (correct me if I’ve interpreted wrong) yet the concrete lintel I picked is rated for 9.84kN.

Are you saying that on paper it isn’t strong enough but in reality it’ll be fine?

Yes.

In reality, the lintel is holding up a triangle of about 0.5m2 of the wall, and for the floor one or two joists and not 1m width of floor.

More so though, these lintels are just thrown in every day without working anything out. They will hold up the wall, floor, celing and roof above them no probelms.

Yes.

In reality, the lintel is holding up a triangle of about 0.5m2 of the wall, and for the floor one or two joists and not 1m width of floor.

More so though, these lintels are just thrown in every day without working anything out. They will hold up the wall, floor, celing and roof above them no probelms.

Thanks Woody. You talk complete sense as usual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back