calculating the weight on a lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to remove an existing lintel at the rear of my house then fit a wider lintel and then fit larger patio doors beneath it, but I will have to submit plans etc to building regs. I have tried to look up the calculations but have got very confused.
My house is a 30's semi, 9" solid brick rendered, the patio doors are on the ground floor, above it is a bedroom (solid wall with window in) and above that is a standard tile hung roof.
I prefer to use a 'catnic' box type lintel as they are easier to manhandle.

Sponsored Links
Provided the new opening is not overly wide i.e. enormous bi-fold doors etc, then a standard duty inverted 'T' lintel would suffice and they are a stock item at decent builders yards.

external_solid_wall_lintels.jpg

What is the span?

best thing is give your building control a call, i'm doing similar and mine have been very helpful, they provided an on site evaluation and advice at no charge and confirmed what i would need.

they advised me to go for a concrete 8x4 lintel rather than steel as with steel they commented i would also need to ensure it has adequate fireproofing.

the opening for mine was an exsisting opening with a total span of about 1900mm for the opening.

Sponsored Links
The clear span will be 11' 6", I suspect that a catnic or 2no. RSJ's will be needed as the span is pretty big

That's why I'm talking to you boys, I hope you can give me an idea of the weight of the masonary and roof load that will bear down on the lintel

If you use a standard lintel, in accordance with the manufacturers guidance, then you don't need to know the load, it will just work - the manufacturer has already worked it out

I'm sure you're right woody BUT I have to submit plans to the building regs boys and they won't be satisfied by that, they will want to see calculations on my plan to prove that the beam is correct for the job (auditable evidence), it is these calculation that I am asking you learned boys how to produce.

Of course you need to know the load. That's Why the manufacturers give a safe working load :rolleyes: [/img]

Do you do many b/regs applications?

Stick any standard lintel into a property in accordance with the manufacturers guide, and you don't need to know the load and you don't need to do any calculations

I bow to your experience Woody, but what you say seems a bit odd, I need to bung in a 12 foot lintel which will sit on 6" of brickwork each side, so I will choose a catnic NN81B box lintel which the manufacturer says can carry 29Kn, surely the plan I submit must prove that there isn't more than 29Kn sitting on top of this otherwise no-one will know if the beam is correctly spec'd?

Do you do many b/regs applications?

Stick any standard lintel into a property in accordance with the manufacturers guide, and you don't need to know the load and you don't need to do any calculations
Rubbish. There could be any number of different loading conditions that affect the overall load and even if BC don't ask for loadings it's careless at best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back