External cable runs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does ever cable have to be armoured when run outdoors, or will PVC conduit suffice ?

Sponsored Links
Depends on where it is being run.

Please describe the cable route from start to finish, then we can advise you.

The first line of your response should say something like:

The cable would start at the house end, fed from (where????????)

and then

It would then be clipped down the wall and will be buried in the garden for 10 metres

It would then be clipped up a tree and then attached to a length of steel catenary wire to the garage. This is situated 150 metres away on the other side of the M6 motorway....

You get the idea..

Not all cable needs to be armoured.
There will be instances when cable will need some form of mechanical protection either via the armour or by containment.
There will also be times when cable is run in area that is does not need any mechanical protection at all.
But the logical steps when choosing cable types, should be if the cable is suitable for the environment that it being routed and used.

Depends on where it is being run.

Please describe the cable route from start to finish, then we can advise you.

The first line of your response should say something like:

The cable would start at the house end, fed from (where????????)

and then

It would then be clipped down the wall and will be buried in the garden for 10 metres

It would then be clipped up a tree and then attached to a length of steel catenary wire to the garage. This is situated 150 metres away on the other side of the M6 motorway....

You get the idea..

How did you know that was the route ?? lol

Half would be through loft space's the rest above hand height (2.5m -3.0m) on external wall and eaves.
Would flexi pvc conduit work for containment of T&E during external run?

Sponsored Links
Is it considered safe to use 6mm csa twin and earth clipped to the joists of a car port (totally dry), then into the adjoining garage to a consumer unit feeding sockets, on the supply end of the cable is a 45amp elcb.
The lights are on a separate circuit, also fed with 2.5 mm twin and earth, again clipped to the rafters of the car port.

Wotan

Would flexi pvc conduit work for containment of T&E during external run?
IMO that would contravene Wiring Regulation 134.1.1

And it will look cr*p.

WHY does Ban-all-sheds posts seem just abusive to other members, or am I the only person to notice constant "trolling" by this member.
You obviously have too much time on your hands.....phone not ringing mate?? lol :LOL:

I think you need to get out more.

Abusive? Deliberately designed to inflame or anger you and generate an emotional response?

Don't be ridiculous.

You asked a question about using flexible conduit for a cable run clipped to an outside wall.

I said that I thought that would contravene the Wiring Regulations.

Please explain how that is either abusive or trolling.

I also said that it will look cr*p. Which is absolutely true.

I think you need to get out more.

Abusive? Deliberately designed to inflame or anger you and generate an emotional response?

Don't be ridiculous.

You asked a question about using flexible conduit for a cable run clipped to an outside wall.

I said that I thought that would contravene the Wiring Regulations.

I also said that it will look cr*p. Which is absolutely true.

I can only assume (as you constantly assume about others) that you have many years of professional experience in the industry? Why at this point you would want to join a website like this and then try to "belittle" people with less experience than yourself is puzzling? You have submitted a colossal amount of posts, suggesting you have a colossal amount of time available? If you want to bolster your self esteem by contrabuting to questions, then do so. But why submit pointless "cranky" replies that only you seem to come out with (nobody else) ?
Yes, my experience is limited that is why I am asking all the professionals here who know the answers to my questions! Having a huge amount of posts does not make you giant amounst men, just a person sat at a PC for hours! :confused: Knowledge is not for keeping but passing on!
So chill fella, you cant be an internet superhero that easy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back