External Cavity wall soon to be Internal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Extending to the rear of my bungalow.

1668882122754.png

Black square is existing building
Red is new building which is to be attached to black existing building.

The cavity around the existing black building is approx 70mm - which is NOT filled/insulated in anyway.
The cavity around the new red building is 100mm insulated slab.

The wall where I have the arrow pointing will go from External to an Internal wall.

Questions:
Should I leave the cavity empty? or fill with beads?

The new roof will be pitched and linked to the existing pitched roof. Currently the existing building has loft insulation which stops at the eaves (direction which the blue arrow points). When the roofs are linked will it be OK to run the loft insulation over the cavity wall across into the new extension?

Sponsored Links
Yes to the loft insulation. Don't see the need for insulation in your existing cavity unless you want to try and deaden any sound coming from the extension. If you do the it would probably need to be solid boards with sound deadening qualities.

You will probably be able to take out a skin of the cavity wall if it's not loadbearing to give you @170mm extra space, have done this on many extensions and it can make a difference for little cost.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back