External Downpipe Access Cover Replacement...

11 Sep 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all,

to kick things off have a look at the pictures.

I am looking for a replacement o-ring (which in real life is actually more rectangular in shape as you'll see when you look at the recess on the back of the cover plate that it has to fit).

This is the bottom of vertical grey plastic pipework which takes a horizontal turn into the building through into my cellar and thus forms part of the main drainage away from the house.

I recently had some pipework replaced that carried my gutter water, sink, dishwasher and washing waste into this pipework in the pictures. There was leaks from the pipework which was replaced - it was quite old. The plumber left and I discovered there was still a leak in the vicinity of what was replaced as I had washed paint brushes in the kitchen sink and there was a puddle of white water nearby.

Upon further investigation the plumber opened this access panel (as indicated in pics) and waste water shot out indicating a blockage further along the pipe tract under the cellar. It was just backing up and exiting from weakest joint which turned out to be where the grey plastic grey pipe meets the cast iron down pipe.

I have since removed all the old white paint and silicone which was clarted around this face plate.

There is four bolts securing it - one has sheared. The other three are fine.

So as I said I cleaned it all up and the o-ring is quite cracked and generally perished.

Am I able to buy a replacement?

Where would I go for such a thing?

Can I get it online?

Kind regards, Gordon


  • IMG_6715.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_6716.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_6717.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_6718.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_6719.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 218
Sponsored Links
28 Jun 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
If you google Polypipe..... S A 34 - you'll find one (y) Thanks to your excellent photos I saw the polypipe logo (and the number )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links