Negative Gradien Kitchen Sink Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have major issues with kitchen sink pipe drainage.

the issue is the following

The waste pipe from the kitchen sink currently runs horizontally across the kitchen to connect to the soil pipework. It seems a horizontal piece of the pipe has been installed at a negative gradient which prevents satisfactory clearing of fat and grease build pipe. Pipes also seem to have 'water bellies' which indicates gradient issues.

I'm being recommended opening up the ceiling (you can get access from the basement below the kitchen) and replacing the horizontal piece to make sure gradient is correct. its quite a big job, and before proceeding i trying to see if anything else can be done.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother trying to find quick fix solutions. They never last long and don't solve the problem correctly.
Just go for the full job and do it properly. Once it's done then it's done for life and it can be forgotten about, instead of returning every few weeks/months and having to fix it again.

You can do it now or do it later but it'll need doing properly one day. If it's a longish run check the pipe diameter (think if it's more than 3m then 50mm is advised). Only other option would be a Saniflo (pumped waste) but they cost money to buy and power to run and they can be noisy.

I wouldn't bother trying to find quick fix solutions. They never last long and don't solve the problem correctly.
Just go for the full job and do it properly. Once it's done then it's done for life and it can be forgotten about, instead of returning every few weeks/months and having to fix it again.

This.

I spent years trying to "put right" issues.
Trouble was, much of the time I just replaced the old issue with the same issue (but with newer parts).
Reason? I kept presuming that whoever had done the original install / repair had done a decent and proper job, me being only a DIY'er.

Lightbulb moment came when coming to sort out a leaking wc.
After looking, sitting, thinking, researching, then sleeping on it, I bit the bullet, ripped the lot out, and did it properly.
Believe me, it is much simpler in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys. Thinking the same - might bite the bullet and go the expensive but the sure for the long term way.

Now the questions is - who would be the right guys to hire so that the job done is not with the same issues?

A lot of plumbing companies seem to be good with working quick fixes - i.e. drainage clearing, small fixes etc. Drainage guys don't seem appropriate either.... Would that be a plumber that works with builders? Any specific skillset to look for - i.e. pipe laying?

A lot of plumbing companies seem to be good with working quick fixes - i.e. drainage clearing, small fixes etc. Drainage guys don't seem appropriate either.... Would that be a plumber that works with builders? Any specific skillset to look for - i.e. pipe laying?

DIY - With help to get it right, from this forum?

Does the existing pipe drop into a floor/ceiling void then?

Does the existing pipe drop into a floor/ceiling void then?y
yes - it drops into the floor / basement cieling and then extends horizontally through the ceiling void in the basement to connect to the soil pipe on the other end.

yes - it drops into the floor / basement cieling and then extends horizontally through the ceiling void in the basement to connect to the soil pipe on the other end.
In that case then I agree with the others, unless you can route it elsewhere and cap off the old one.

Can you post any pictures so we know what we are actually looking at?
It may turn out not to be as big a job as you think. If you need to break into the cellar ceiling to 'fix' it, then you may as well break into it properly to do the job properly. Then you can take before and after pictures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back