Easiest way of removing a 40mm pipe through a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
Someone has attempted to gain entry to my house by standing on my 40mm waste pipe from my kitchen sink which comes through the wall as a straight pipe, immediately bends 90deg and then runs down to the soil stack.
In true bad luck fashion it has broken right on the 90deg elbow which is solvent weld so my plan was to cut the horizontal half way and then remake the pipe back into the kitchen sink trap.
The issue is the pipe seems tight in the wall as expanding foam appears to have been used. It is also obscured by the kitchen unit as the hole the pipe goes through is about 42mm in diameter in the unit!
Is there any easy way of carrying out the removal of this pipe as I'm dreading it :LOL: the rest will be an easy job apart from this.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ian,
I'm kinda working blind as I can't see anything behind the surface so I'm curious what kind of hold the foam will have on the pipe.
Ideally I was thinking of some way of cutting the foam out by passing a wire through and then using it like a knife to trim round the circumference of the pipe, but these things are easier imagined than done!

Maybe a hacksaw blade?

If you can’t pull it out i’d be tempted to get a piece of pipe the same and hammer it through to push the old one out.

Sponsored Links
You could see if you can get a pipe where its external diameter is as close as possible to the internal diameter of the existing pipe, and use that as an internal connector.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is enough pipe showing outside then I have had success removing the elbow from the pipe with an electric heat gun to slowly heat the elbow whilst twisting it with pliars.

Eddies idea is a good one, maybe their is a repair flange/ adaptor available?.

I'd get a long piece of wood, and try and knock the pipe through with a hammer (same as Ian) although if you damage it AND can't get it out you're worse off still..

Can you get hold of the internal end and pull it back through? Once the old section is out, new should push back through with a bit of gentle persuasion, just allow enough to cut off to give a clean end.

You could see if you can get a pipe where its external diameter is as close as possible to the existing pipe, and use that as an internal connector.
Not in solvent weld size you wont.

Chances are the foam is only just inside the hole by say an inch, so a sharp kitchen type knife might work here.

Ok, big assumption but If the external diameter of the existing pipe is 40mm, then you can get 1.5" (38mm) solvent weld couplers from here

Right I'll shut up now other suggestions are probably better.

Depending on how tight the hole in the wall is to the pipe, i've used a long drill bit to mill the foam from around the pipe in the past. PU foam seems to stick quite well to plastic waste pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back