1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Easiest way of removing a 40mm pipe through a wall

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by andymartin86, 12 Mar 2019.

1. andymartin86

andymartin86

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Everyone,
    Someone has attempted to gain entry to my house by standing on my 40mm waste pipe from my kitchen sink which comes through the wall as a straight pipe, immediately bends 90deg and then runs down to the soil stack.
    In true bad luck fashion it has broken right on the 90deg elbow which is solvent weld so my plan was to cut the horizontal half way and then remake the pipe back into the kitchen sink trap.
    The issue is the pipe seems tight in the wall as expanding foam appears to have been used. It is also obscured by the kitchen unit as the hole the pipe goes through is about 42mm in diameter in the unit!
    Is there any easy way of carrying out the removal of this pipe as I'm dreading it :LOL: the rest will be an easy job apart from this.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Ian H

Ian H

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Could you get some pliers on it and give it a good tug?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. andymartin86

andymartin86

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Ian,
    I'm kinda working blind as I can't see anything behind the surface so I'm curious what kind of hold the foam will have on the pipe.
    Ideally I was thinking of some way of cutting the foam out by passing a wire through and then using it like a knife to trim round the circumference of the pipe, but these things are easier imagined than done!

5. Ian H

Ian H

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe a hacksaw blade?

If you can’t pull it out i’d be tempted to get a piece of pipe the same and hammer it through to push the old one out.

6. You could see if you can get a pipe where its external diameter is as close as possible to the internal diameter of the existing pipe, and use that as an internal connector.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Mar 2019
  7. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If there is enough pipe showing outside then I have had success removing the elbow from the pipe with an electric heat gun to slowly heat the elbow whilst twisting it with pliars.

8. Keithmac

Keithmac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Eddies idea is a good one, maybe their is a repair flange/ adaptor available?.

I'd get a long piece of wood, and try and knock the pipe through with a hammer (same as Ian) although if you damage it AND can't get it out you're worse off still..

9. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can you get hold of the internal end and pull it back through? Once the old section is out, new should push back through with a bit of gentle persuasion, just allow enough to cut off to give a clean end.

10. Sponsored Links
  11. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not in solvent weld size you wont.

12. Oh well, just a thought.

13. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Chances are the foam is only just inside the hole by say an inch, so a sharp kitchen type knife might work here.

14. andymartin86

andymartin86

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for all the ideas guys.
    I'm tempted to try the heat gun to remove the old elbow, that would save a massive amount of time!

• Like Like x 1
  15. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Take your time, don`t just blast it and keep twisting the elbow.

16. Ok, big assumption but If the external diameter of the existing pipe is 40mm, then you can get 1.5" (38mm) solvent weld couplers from here

Right I'll shut up now other suggestions are probably better.

17. Lower

Lower

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Depending on how tight the hole in the wall is to the pipe, i've used a long drill bit to mill the foam from around the pipe in the past. PU foam seems to stick quite well to plastic waste pipe.