External Drain - Splashing from Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My external drain has 3 pipes going to it, one from the gutter/bathroom, one from the washing machine and one from the kitchen sink. Pretty much all 3 of them splash everywhere as you can see from the picture. Could anybody give me some advice on the best way to fix this?

DSC05442.jpg

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Depends how much work you want to do and the quality of the final solution!

Simple method, extend both waste pipes to discharge below the grid. Looks like there's a small section missing from the end of the grid, if you can replace this then it allows room to cut in both wastes. The downpipe can be extended using a couple of bends to discharge vertically over the grid, although this may not omit all splashing...

Could fit a gulley surround to contain the splashing. However, this may not completely solve the problem, and it remains an unsanitary affair.

More complicated, change the existing gully for a back inlet type. Fit a 90deg bend into back inlet connection on new gulley, then realign downpipe to connect to this using appropriate adaptor from rainwater pipe to 110mm. Extend both wastes to again discharge below grid.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

So if I was to do the last option which sounds like the best one (I'm in the middle of getting my pation re-laid so it wouldn't be too much trouble) would this be whats needed:

ae235

Fit a 90 degree bend and then add one of these
ae235
and for the other 2 pipes just have them go into the top of the gully through the grid?

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Thats the idea. :) You'll probably need to rejig the underground section a bit, looks like you currently have a standard hopper going into a 'tick' (shape) trap, this will need to be removed and pipework altering to accomodate bottle gulley as in pic. (Bottle gulley has integral trap so 'tick trap' would then be redundant.) May be wise to check/alter position of gulley and/or adjust the downpipe at this point so it lines up, and avoid a load of bends in the downpipe. ;)

This should ensure the water goes where it supposed to, although may be worth adding a gulley surround to finish, if someone gets excited with washing up liquid or bubble bath you could still get a mass of bubbles erupting through the grid! Wastes are solvent weld type, if you can remove the paint back to clean plastic, then glue a coupling on and extend to suit. :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back