External drain valve outside tap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outside tap to fit, where the external pipework I will have to run up towards the tap due to restraints inside. I usually drop the pipework down to the tap so when isolated inside and the tap opened it drains the pipework. With having to run the pipework up to the tap externaly would I be best of fitting a drain valve externally?

Sponsored Links
Not a bad idea but I’d definitely fit an internal full bore isolator and incorporate a one way valve.
Generally I just turn mine off in the depths of winter and then open the tap.....Ive had no problems.
John :)

You can always fit 2 bib taps and use the lower one to drain the pipework at end of summer. It comes in handy as a hosepipe connector and still allows you to use the top one for filling buckets etc :)

Not a bad idea but I’d definitely fit an internal full bore isolator and incorporate a one way valve.
Generally I just turn mine off in the depths of winter and then open the tap.....Ive had no problems.
John :)
Thanks I usually just do the same, it's just with the pipework running vertical outside to the tap that concerning me. Always drop it down to the tap but can't in this situation.

Sponsored Links
Leave mine on all year, external pipe is plastic and resists freezing better than copper . Tap is insulated .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back