External Extractor fan systems for kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noisy kitchen fans are one of my pet hates... so as part of new kitchen I'm electing for a externally mounted fan ducted to standard cooker hood with it's motor removed. I'm doing installation of fan, hood and ducting, have a spark to do the wiring... but he's never done one of these fans before. External wall is 4mt from the hob, so using 90X220mm rectangular ducting.

http://www.fastlec.co.uk/150mm-external-centrifugal-fan-600m3hr-p-5091.html

So a few quick questions:

Will a three speed controller from a standard hood control this unit ok? I'm assuming just run the wires along with the duct.

And how do you connect the ducting (150mm) to hood so air is only dran through the filters?

Thanks

C.

Sponsored Links
My main concern is the noise outside. People can get quite NIMBYish about even a little bit of noise outside. This is why air conditioners and fridge plant usually requires planning permission and I'd guess these are quieter than your fan.

Will a three speed controller from a standard hood control this unit ok?
Ask the maker. There's probably no such thing as the latter, so you'll need to find out how the control in your hood is designed to work with the motor in your hood,

I'm assuming just run the wires along with the duct.
But not through it.

And how do you connect the ducting (150mm) to hood so air is only dran through the filters?
That's a mechanical problem.

Cheers.

The fan is in an alleyway on the gable wall of our house... so no noise issues there.

I've not found any tech sheets for the fan so I'll contact the manufacturer

Thanks

Sponsored Links
25 years ago I installed something similar in my electrically heated bachelor pad. To prevent expensive heat being lost, I hooked the hood up to a remote heat exchanger with integral fans made by Rega (purchased from Wickes) so that when the air from the hood was extracted, much of the heat was transferred to an incoming supply of fresh air. In the summer, the intake air fan could be switched off and it worked as a normal extractor.

If you don't want to go to that extent, Soler & Palau (S&P) make a cooker hood with a flexible duct and a remote fan that you can buy off the shelf. It's called a HS. details can be found here. Download the catalogue and there's a diagram on page 627. Don't worry, you won't be downloading hundreds of pages there are only 11 in the whole catalogue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back