External finish for a dormer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of doing a loft conversion and have a question about the outside finish to one of the sides of the dormer.

It's a stud wall approx 3.2m long and 2.2m to 0m high. Because my dormer will be built right next to my next door neighbour's dormer the space between them will be very tight. Not sure how tight as of now but I am guessing the spacing will be around 250mm.

The front and opposite walls will be finished with tiles and in order to minimise maintenance and to make the building process easier I am looking for some suggestions on the finish of that specific wall.

I don't really care about appearance because I will not see it, it will be hidden... so... as long as it's quick to install, relatively cheap and durable it should be fine.

Someone suggested lead flashing, but I suspect it will be very heavy and costly. Has any of you guys come across something like that?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Do you have planning and or Bldg Regs approval for constructing a Dormer so close to its neighbour?
How advanced is your proposal?
Do you have written or any kind of agreement from your neighbour?

I've encountered this kind of set-up before where the owner was "having leaks" and no clear way of repairing them because there was no reasonable access.

If you have a pitched roof dormer then there will be an overhang and a gutter projection - plus your neighbour's possible gutter projection.
Does your neighbouring roof have the same roof covering as your roof?

I've seen them in-situ in lead sheet, slate hanging, tile hanging and shiplap with lead flashing at the roof join.

I could list a whole bunch of further difficulties that you might encounter.

Yes, I do have building regs approval and the calcs for the structure were made by a qualified SE, however I made the drawings myself thus seeking for advice on those things.

Party wall agreement is in place, I've got good relationship with neighbours and they suggested me doing this with lead sheet as they are in the building trade.

It is going to be a flat roof same as neighbour's and the plan is to keep everything separate, not joining the roofs.

I am of the opinion that as long as the job is done to a good standard I can minimize the chances of having problems and that's my main concern due to the proximity to the adjoining dormer.

I guess the best options from the ones you listed are tile/slate hanging and lead sheet... don't like the idea of shiplap, I always have the impression that wood will sooner or later need some sort of maintenance, which from my experience it usually happens sooner.

Sponsored Links
By "neighbouring roof" i meant the main roof cover for your's and your neighbour's roof planes - not the dormer roofs.

Is there a chimney stack in the vicinity? Or a vent pipe?

"shiplap" comes in PVC as well as wood. But with using shiplap or lead you might have difficulties detailing the outside corners?

Sheet lead is an excellent material for a dormer cheek - but who will install it?

I'm still curious that planning passed a drawing with no material specified for the dormer cheek?

An external pic of the work so far would help?

tile hang it. easy no maintenance. slate hanging is more tricky. lead is fine to but might get stolen

tile hang it. easy no maintenance. slate hanging is more tricky. lead is fine to but might get stolen

That could be awkward in such a narrow space.

It seems that the OP needs to make the check and fix the cladding before erecting the check, leaving only the perimeter sealing to be done afterwards

Do people steal lead from house roof level ? :eek:

The dormer cheek, where there is a will there is a way.. best to look for a way to do it, not for a way not to do it.

yes lead get stolen from houses at all levels if they can. it's not just porches and garages. we have replaced lead on church roofs some pretty high too. one in Lymington on the south coast was stolen a week after we had just replaced it!.. We were paid to re flash it with lead alternative ..

Zinc would be a good choice as it is lighter and cheaper than Lead for this, and would be easy to install

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back