External garage electricity wrongly connected to neighbours supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found out that my electricity supply in my external garage is wrongly connected to my neighbours electricity unit in their house and their supply for their garage is connected to the unit in my house.
This seems to have been the case since the house was built in 2005 but it has only become apparent now due to their faulty freezer using about 1 months worth of electricity in one day. We then tested our supplies to the garage and when they switched the RCD switch for the garage it cut power to my garage and in my house I cut the power to their garage.
I don’t know the best way to resolve the issue, the garages are leasehold so we have a management company but I’m not sure they will see it as their issue (I have asked the question).
We are a semi detached house and our electricity boxes in the houses are on either side of the same wall. Same in the garage, they are separated by a wall.
Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest it is up to the lease holder as this is a dangerous situation. Someone could think they have powered down one of the garages to do some work on it and, even though they should test for dead, they may be severely injured/killed.
May sound dramatic, but thats because it could be. You need to get it sorted by a professional as soon as possible. In the meantime put a warning up in each garage advising of the problem. If the consumer units are back-to-back it should be an easy job to correct them.

I would suggest it is up to the lease holder as this is a dangerous situation. Someone could think they have powered down one of the garages to do some work on it and, even though they should test for dead, they may be severely injured/killed.
May sound dramatic, but thats because it could be. You need to get it sorted by a professional as soon as possible. In the meantime put a warning up in each garage advising of the problem. If the consumer units are back-to-back it should be an easy job to correct them.
Thank you for the warning, something I had not considered. We have cut off the supply in our garage and so has the neighbour. We will be calling an electrician tomorrow to look and advise. Yes the consumer units are back to back so hopefully is an easy job. Highlighted that Berkeley Homes clearly didn’t do their testing when it was a new build and now we have to pay to fix their work. Thanks for your helpful reply.

Sponsored Links
Check your lease. I would expect the owner of the garages, not the leaseholders, to be responsible for the electrical supply wiring (at least up to the CU input).

Could it also be dangerous if they have plugged something into the garage supply and say using it in the house ,and both houses may be on a different phase.
Not sure I am asking ?

Using power from the garage inside the house is not a good idea. If anything goes wrong it will trip next door.
Worse than that, if the person using the power source is electrocuted or injures themselves on a sharp electric tool, (kitchen carving knife/toaster et al), there is no way to isolate them from the power if the breaker fails without endangering yourself.
My advice is to STOP using any power coming from the garages until it is rectified correctly by a qualified electrician.
If the leaseholder is not playing ball you could always get a estimate/quote from a local electrician and, if his price is reasonable, share the cost with your neighbour. You will then be able to use both garages safely and have peace of mind.

2005 is on the edge, think Part P came in 2004, but work already planned did not need to come under the new rules. However the fault rings alarm bells, can't see how anyone can complete an electrical installation certificate without realising the error, or in 2015 when the electrical installation condition report should have been done, that it could have been missed then either.

Yes I know often an EICR is not done every 10 years, but if not done, can't really blame builder that the owner did not do required maintenance.

As to danger, it would depend how laid out, in the main houses in an estate have the three phases split so next door but two has same phase. So there will be 400 volt between your garage and your house. And of course switching off the supply would not make it dead, but all electricians should prove for dead anyway.
the garages are leasehold so we have a management company
So what are the houses, who owns them? With most things it is the owner who is responsible, with rental the landlord must do an EICR every 5 years, but nothing to force owner occupiers.

The builder has clearly made an error, and normally there is a 25 year cover for major items, and this is major, but as said you should have found out before this point, so I think it would be hard to claim.

Will be interesting to know how this pans out, but what you can do I am not sure.

It's the building owners responsibility to have correct wiring. If they refuse to sort immediately then get in contact with the council on safety grounds and get them involved

It's the building owners responsibility to have correct wiring. If they refuse to sort immediately then get in contact with the council on safety grounds and get them involved
This is I believe leasehold, not rented. As such I'd expect the leaseholder to be responsible for the internal arrangements (as a private landlord I own some leasehold properties). A little depends on the position of the garages, if both are immediately adjoining their respective gardens then I don't see how the freeholder would have any interest in the situation and added to that why should all the other leaseholders in the complex be expected to pay to repair this particular installation?

Why do you think the council will be interested?

As I see it; this has apparently been working for 18 years without problems and see no reason to suddenly jump up and down about it being dangerous other than isolation as conny pointed out.

Some pictures of the consumer units (electricity boxes) showing the garage cable, if is shows, and how it rises from the floor or through the wall etc will help us assess the situation.

Purely as environmental health are quite keen on safety issues. The original build installation was incorrect which should make the freeholder liable. Leases tend to make the leaseholders responsible for maintenance and repairs which this isn't.

Purely as environmental health are quite keen on safety issues. The original build installation was incorrect which should make the freeholder liable. Leases tend to make the leaseholders responsible for maintenance and repairs which this isn't.
But it is lack of maintenance (inspection).

At 18 years I suspect EHO & PD will not be interested in the slightest and even trying to contact PD will possibly cost more than an electrician.

I've just re-read OP and it seems the houses may not be leasehold. In which case it could probably be demonstrated to be a freehold issue. It makes me wonder if they've been leased the wrong garage.

If both parties purchased from new the original electrical installation documents may still be in existence. I suspect that if one, or especially if both, properties are on a second owner and neither have had any testing done in the meantime they may have no claim against the installer/developer as well outside any guarantee period.

Being leased the wrong garage I can definitely see happening! Fair points, well made :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back