power supply to garage

aaa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i wish to get electricity to a detached garage. in my house i av a split consumer unit. do i connect my cable going from my house on the rcd side or non rcd side of my consumer unit. then at my garage i will terminate the cable into a consumer unit. if the cable at my house side is on the rcd side do i still need rcd protection in the garage consumer unit. if the cable at my house is connected in the non rcd side do i the av 2 av rcd protection in the consumer unit in the garage. or do i av 2 install a earth rod purely for the garage protection

Sponsored Links
an earth rod is only used to get an earth or in pme installations, neither of which you should worry about.

It would be advisable to connect your garge to the rcd side of the consumers unit and fit another rcd in the consumers unit. this way if you use something in the garage that trips and rcd, only the garge one should trip, if you don't it will be the whole house, also it affords protection to the supply to your garage (the rcd in the house)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back