External Garden Wall - Water/Frost Damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I miss any important infomation. I'll post pictures to my flickr account as soon as I have some good shots.

We brought a house in November (and its wonderful!) however there is a few DIY tasks I'm concidering approaching. I've already done some very simple things such as swapping light switches (which even came with their own problems) but have been staying away from anything larger due to not really having a good resource to look into (other than my parents, gfs parents etc - I prefer to do stuff myself as they will stress about it).

The problem currently is our wall at the front of the house appears to have been damaged from the recently frost and nasty weather we've had in the winter. Where the mortar between the bricks was, there was a grey outer layer which was very hard and stiff - this has mostly cracked and fallen away, and below this is a very sandy mixture which is now getting very damp and starting to crumble slightly.

I dont think the wall is in any danger of anything major happening but I'm wondering if I need to worry about the weather getting into the wall + if theres anything which I can do to stop/slow this process or will it be a case of rebuilding the whole wall?

Also one of the "tops" of the wall has fallen off (likely hit by a wheelybin is my guess); we have the bricks etc in the shed but I'm wondering if thats easily fixed also?

Many thanks for your responces (in advance!).

Sponsored Links
Ah its called repointing; brilliant

I'll take a look around at resources and see if its something I'm up for... though with the weather currently its not going to be very easy :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back