External halogen heater connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to permanently connect an external wall mounted halogen heater. I have an existing outside security light so I was thinking of breaking the connection to this with a waterproof junction box and running one cable out to the light and another cable out to the heater with an external switch so I can control it. Alternatively I was wondering if I could just connect an external two gang switch to control both the security light and heater and not need a junction box? Alternatively do you think I should avoid messing with the security light and just put the heater on a separate connection? Finally would this be regarded as a notifiable work? For info the security light is 300W and the heater is 1300W and the external lighting is its own connection to the fuse box.

Many thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
1300W is a big load. You say the security light is on it's own breaker. What size is that breaker, and what size is the cable feeding the security light?

The cable looks 6mm, however on checking the breaker it appears to have been wired into the circuit controlling the kitchen sockets and not the outside lighting breaker that just controls the light at the front of the house.

I therefore guess that connecting the heater to the kitchen circuit would not be the best idea due to the potential heavy load of all the kitchen gadgets and utilities.

Any advice therefore on how this should be connected i.e. onto another existing circuit/ring or on its own separate connection into the fuse box (there is one spare left).

Many thanks

Mark

If you were to consider fitting more, I would install a dedicated circuit for them.

If it's just a one-off, you could wire it as a spur. Have you got a seperate circuit for the kitchen/up/down power?

Sponsored Links
The kitchen sockets (and garden light) are on one one breaker plus connected to a RCD I think, the electric oven is on its own breaker, downstairs lighting and sockets are each on separate breakers.

Thanks

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back