External Hard drive for backups

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the market for an external memory drive to store a lot of digital photos and videos.
Don't want to spend a fortune but need something long lasting.
1-2TB or more should do the trick.
Any recommendations or types to avoid?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Got my 1TB from PC World approx. £40, been fine for over 5 years but as Freddie says nothing lasts for ever.

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Sponsored Links
How big is your computers Hard Drive?

That will determine the size of your backup disk - its needs to be at a minimum twice the capacity and ideally 3 or 4 Times the size. When you get one do a 'base level' backup (that is just. the operating system and necessary applications) then do a full back up. Do a regular backup when the disk gets full delete the oldest full backup.

Also consider keeping a second backup disk away from your home. Family or good friends address, or your workplace.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Get a NAS drive but avoid Seagate
And then something removable to back up the NAS. You always want an off-line backup, if you get infected with CryptoLocker style ransomware then every drive that can be seen on your network will become useless.

• Thanks
Always an option. Personally I don't have multilayer redundancy

• Thanks
You can cheaply bachup to to cds or dvds. I do that with my accounts files and photos. once a month is probably enough. Put them in a different building and they will be safe even if your house burns down.

• Thanks
Yes, if you take a monthly backup, you will have one recent, and you can keep some older ones too.

• Thanks
Nothing is long lasting, backup your backup your backup your backup.
Quite right. I back up to two separate external hard drives. I keep one in a safe and hide the other in a cupboard elsewhere in the house.
If one fails, I have the other and would immediately buy another to replace the failed one. They aren't expensive.

• Thanks
I use external hard drive caddy, cheap, take both 2-1/2 and 3-1/2 inch drives and I can use free hard drives from old sky boxes ( people give them away) which are 500gb or larger.Use 2-3 on rotation .My Mac’s time machine makes daily back ups .Use ssd ( also in pic) for video collection back up .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Thanks
I used to have hard-drive caddies, but moved to DVDs as easier and lighter to swap and store.

Not in the house. The fire that destroys your PC would also destroy your disks.

Before cloud became popular, I used to suggest small businesses took a daily backup and put it in the post each night. They tended otherwise to leave the backup disk in or beside the computer.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Back