External Hard Drives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have four external hard drives attached to my pc. Only 3 of these are showing in my computer. Does anyone know why the 4th one is not visible. I have checked all the wires and they are all connected correctly. Can anyone help me wih this please :D Thank you

Sponsored Links
Has you seen all 4 before?
Have you tried unpluging one that you can see & plug the 4th one into that now empty port.

This is a new hard drive which I have just connected the 4th one to my pc. I have tried switching off and on again and I have even taken out all the leads and connected them again but they still don't show.

Unplug all the hard drives...then plug in the new one..then can you see it.

Sponsored Links
I have tried unplugging and plugging in again but it still isn't visible. If i unplug one of my others and plus new on in then it does show but the one I took out doesnt.

Ok what i suggest is you check Windows hasn't got your device drive letter confused and is finding it conflicts with a device already plugged in.

CLick on the start button
Select 'run'
type 'Compmgmt.msc'
hit enter

You should see a computer management snapin pop up

Look down the lefthand side for 'Disk Management'

Each disc should have a brief description and a drive letter C: D: etc.

If you see one without a letter right click and select "change drive letter and paths' (Or check to see if there's a warning about the partition on that disc. )

Add a letter and click ok.

Goto explorer and look for drive letter you just assigned.

Otherwise disc could be shagged and i hope you dont have any important data on there. (see get a Nas thread!) :)

Could it be you have taken your computer to the limit of the number of peripherials it will support?

I have opened the computer management. All the drives are showing but I have noted that all are quoted as online apart from one which is Offline, when I hover over this there is a message "The disc is offline because it has a signature collision with another disc that is online".

Ok what i suggest is you check Windows hasn't got your device drive letter confused and is finding it conflicts with a device already plugged in.

CLick on the start button
Select 'run'
type 'Compmgmt.msc'
hit enter

You should see a computer management snapin pop up

Look down the lefthand side for 'Disk Management'

Each disc should have a brief description and a drive letter C: D: etc.

If you see one without a letter right click and select "change drive letter and paths' (Or check to see if there's a warning about the partition on that disc. )

Add a letter and click ok.

Goto explorer and look for drive letter you just assigned.

Otherwise disc could be s*****d and i hope you dont have any important data on there. (see get a Nas thread!) :)

Thank you very much, you are wonderful, this is now showing in the list on My Computer. I have also changed all the letters to they run in sequence. Thank you again.

Woo look at you! You're welcome, that's great news that the hard disk is still healthy. Have a happy thursday :)

Sponsored Links
Back