EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old computer running winxp has packed up, so i have purchased a new one, but when i transfered an external h/drive to my new pc running win 7 i get an error message saying 'NOT COMPATABLE' when i checked in device manager the computer shows that the h/drive is working properly but i cannot read or access it, i have tried the manufacturers website but i get no reply

Sponsored Links
is it a 2nd hard drive for storage or is it the drive that was holding your operating system? If it's the OS, it'll have to be formatted, partitioned and have a clean install of windows. The BIOS would be different so it would have to be all totally freshened up. If it's only a 2nd HDD for storage etc then I don't really know what the problem could be?

Is the external drive actually showing on your new computer but you can't access it?

I had a quick search and when Windows 7 came out, this seemed to be a common problem for people.

Found an article where the advice give was to go to the properties for the external hard drive through device manager and change the removal policy from the default quick removal to better performance.

Hope that helps and solves the problem. I've never seen Windows 7 yet so don't know if it is a definite fix for it or not.

Sponsored Links
Back