External LED security lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for the above on PIRs and they seam quite expensive compared to the Halogen equivalents. My question is what's best to light my my garden 10,30 or 50w on LED?

Also my current lights are just run off a light switch 2 gang dining room switch and outside light switch. any issues with just linking the wires out behind the switch and adding a 1 gang for dining room or do they require some sort of isolation other than the MCB? (Yes an electrician is doing it I just like to know the best was first!)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
How big is your garden? An acre will require more lights than 6 square feet.

I have a 10W at mothers lights up drive from back of house to front, and 5W at my house lights up front of house. If you want enough light to take photos of intruders in then that is much more than needed to both alert you that there are intruders and to light your way around the garden.

If you want PIR control of each light I would recommend buying non PIR LED floods, and separate PIRs. The separate PIR provides a convenient point to connect the floodlights little flex in, and the PIR being separate will allow you to adjust the light beam and PIR detection area to where you want, something that is impossible to achieve with a large number or PIR LED floodlights. The Timeguard 8,16 and 32W PIR LED floods are an exception, and are really good, though are a bit more expensive. Avoid Wickes branded LED floodlights at all cost.

Sponsored Links
Ones on the back of the house the others on the side. The gardens very long but maybe 7-10m deep and runs landscape to the house so the distance of the light isn't an issue. I was just surprised how much the LED lights were at £50+ compared to when I last bought a Halogen equivalent.

Does anyone make LED lights with a dusk to dawn photocell for sensible money?

Does anyone make LED lights with a dusk to dawn photocell for sensible money?
Dunno, not the least because it depends upon what you regard as 'sensible'!

However, do many people really want 'dusk to dawn lighting' - rather than just 'when it is needed' (e.g. PIR-controlled)? Whilst running costs of 'dawn to dusk' might not be so much of an issue with LEDs (although 'it all mounts up'!), unnecessary 'light pollution' might be regarded by some as more important.

Kind Regards, John

"Dusk To Dawn lighting" one can always overide the LED Programme ( PIR Control) using a master switch

"Dusk To Dawn lighting" one can always overide the LED Programme ( PIR Control) using a master switch
I may be wrong, but I didn't think that DaveHerns was talking about one with a PIR, since virtually all PIR security lights have provision for disabling the PIR function during daylight.

I therefore presume that he was probably talking about genuine 'dusk to dawn' functionality (i.e. with the light on permanently during the hours of darkness) - in which case one presumably would not want to routinely over-ride it (a time switch, or purely manual control, would be more sensible for that).

Kind Regards, John

Indeed as our local council are so skint they're switching off the street lights at midnight. I want some low level background lighting at the rear of my house. I suppose I could get a low powered LED light and a separate photocell . I was planning on leaving the halogen PIR flood light but they may not work together?

Indeed as our local council are so skint they're switching off the street lights at midnight. I want some low level background lighting at the rear of my house.
Fair enough. However, I still wonder - why do you want that 'background lighting' when no-one is at/near the rear of your house - would not a PIR do what was needed (provide illumination when someone, 'legitimate' or otherwise, was moving in the garden)?
I suppose I could get a low powered LED light and a separate photocell . I was planning on leaving the halogen PIR flood light but they may not work together?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'not working together'. If the photocell (or whatever) of the 'background lights' could 'see' the floodlight, then those background lights might get switched off if the floodlight came on at night - but I doubt that would really matter.

Kind Regards, John

Maybe I'm confused (again) The PIR senses heat and therefore a low power LED light would not trigger it? Maybe I'll just leave my trusty old PIR halogen floodlight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back