External Light in the gate pillar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can somebody let me know whether it's OK to run an armoured cable from inside the garage to external gate pillars for lights in the pillar?
Can the cable simply be connected with a plug to the socket which is also in the garage?

Sponsored Links
so if I may ask what is right? I mean is using a plug not same as having an extension cable running outside from a garage to have a temporary light?

so if I may ask what is right?
Glanding the SWA properly - there's no way you can do that in a plug.

I mean is using a plug not same as having an extension cable running outside from a garage to have a temporary light?
This isn't a temporary light though, is it.....

Sponsored Links
OK, not temporary light but a plug (with RCD) what's wrong with that?

Alternatively how about a low volatge light with the transformer inside teh garage?

What Securespark means is that plugtops are designed ony for connecting flex. Steel wire armoured cable has to be terminated into a box or consumer unit using a gland like this. There are many threads on this forum dealing with the correct way to connect and bury the cable.

Or like this for outside, i.e. at the light....

Alternatively how about a low volatge light with the transformer inside teh garage?
And the volt-drop on that long run of ELV cable will be how much?

And how will you protect the cable?

And just why are you so determined not to do it properly?

The distance between the garage and the gate is about 8 metres. So if I run low volatge (12v) cable from the garage (with transformer) and bury the wire inside plasic conduit all the way to the gate, is that not sufficient?

The distance between the garage and the gate is about 8 metres.
What is the load of the light? What's the size of the cable? Is it adequate - have you done the volt-drop calculation? Does it come with a cable that long?

So if I run low volatge (12v) cable from the garage (with transformer) and bury the wire inside plasic conduit all the way to the gate, is that not sufficient?
As long as the plastic conduit provides equivalent protection against mechanical damage as steel armour, yes.

But you've still got to dig that 8m trench, which is the hard part, so I still don't see why you're trying to avoid using armoured cable. You aren't thinking that if you plug it in it won't be notifiable, are you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back