External Light

Sponsored Links
so long as the mcb is for the lighting circuit then yes, and either way can be done so long as you wire it correctly ( you do not show connections)

breezer said:
so long as the mcb is for the lighting circuit then yes, and either way can be done so long as you wire it correctly ( you do not show connections)

thanks for the reply, which method do you think electricians are most likely to use? Junction box or take switched live to the light?. Or is it just normally down to preference to the individual person.

Or you could take the feed to the switch, then out to the light, in the switch, join neutrals with terminal block, feed live to com, light live to L1

Sponsored Links
You musn't put a junction box under the floorboards. Only crimped, soldered or similar mechanically sound joints can be made where they cannot be readily maintained.

Bas said:
You musn't put a junction box under the floorboards. Only crimped, soldered or similar mechanically sound joints can be made where they cannot be readily maintained.

I'm no expert but even the advice on the how too's on this forum say when extending a ring or adding a spur for a socket use a junction box. Is it not allowed within the regs to use a junction box? As i have looked on many forums and it seems to me to be an excepted method using junction boxes even under floor boards.

junction boxes can be used if accessable (i.e. not buried/plastered into a wall). they can be used where accessable (i.e. behind a blanking plate, in a loft)

timmyquick said:
untitled2.JPG

untitled1.JPG
Blimey - how long has Etch-a-Sketch been able to do colours? ;) ;)

Bas said:
A somewhat harsh and uncompromising interpretation of "accessible".

How does that square with the junction-box system of lighting circuits?

How about 1 cable from CU to the light, and 1 cable from the CU to the switch. Use 1 x terminal block inside CU. Compliant, but adam_151 way would be the best shot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back