DIY disasters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After changing a consumer unit today I completed an electrical installation certificate to cover all final circuits.
Along with the normal defects like incorrectly sleeved cables, missing grommets etc I came across what looks like a typical DIY disaster!

Behind a dryer I found a single socket. Due to the depth of the dryer it needed to push tight against the socket for the cupboard doors to close so how do you lose the depth of a plug top?

flexsocket1.jpg

flexsocket2.jpg

And inside the socket.........

flexsocket3.jpg

flexsocket4.jpg

Nice :rolleyes:

Next disaster involved a light fitting in the kitchen. Notice the left over ceiling rose termination block along with a nice brown insulated conductor to the metal cap. Thank god it was actually a cpc!

ceilingrose.jpg

Lastly was a problem with the kitchen sockets. Phase and neutral had ring continuity, CPC didn't :( After a while I narrowed the problem down to between two sockets on the opposite wall to each other so off into the loft I went (it's a bungalow) to be met with this......

jb1.jpg

Inside the junction box, notice the where the cpc is :rolleyes:

jb2.jpg

And insulation tape peeled back.....

jb3.jpg

This section of cable between the two sockets also contained a neutral to earth short!!

Good isn't it? ;)

Sponsored Links
After changing a consumer unit today ...................................................................................Along with the normal defects like incorrectly sleeved cables, missing grommets etc I came across what looks like a typical DIY disaster.

You mean you didn`t Inspect test and rectify before changing the consumer unit?

No, consumer unit was changed first, all circuits were then inspected and tested one by one and reconnected.
The property is empty at the moment and will be for the next three weeks. We had time and permission to do what was needed.

OK then (assuming it wasn`t powered up or being capable of so being by the unwary).

Yes the wiring is a bit of a DIY disaster or something, but sadly not unusual. That`s one reason Part P once gave some a bit of hope.

Sponsored Links
Hmm. The correct procedure is to do a full PIR first.
Repair the items that need to be rectified and retest
Then you can go ahead with CU change.

So long as he corrects any faults to a circuit before reconnecting it and any such circuits can not inadvertantly be energised by anyone then I see no problem.

House empty for three weeks, only me and my colleague had access.
Am I going to perform a PIR first?
Why, when at the end of the day it was having a new consumer unit and a full EIC, even a re-wire if it was needed?
Have I breeched any regs? Paperwork all in order and more importantly a safe electrical installation.

:rolleyes:

I am aware that a PIR would in fact be a good idea if the house was occupied!

So long as he corrects any faults to a circuit before reconnecting it and any such circuits can not inadvertantly be energised by anyone then I see no problem.

Exactly. I'm totally aware of my responsibilities and how to carry out my job (kitchen fitter) <<<JOKE :LOL:
I even installed supplemetary bonding between the bathroom lighting circuit and associated pipework ;)

Forgot to mention, found a 10mm equipotential bonding conductor dangling behind the sink cupboard with clamp still attached. [Naughty] kitchen fitters :evil:
Safety electrical connection - DO NOT REMOVE, can't they read?

I agree, as long as the installation is up to scratch when finish the job then no problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back