External Paint Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved into a 1960s bungalow on the south coast. It is generally in a very good condition. The external walls are half brick half pebbledash. The bungalow has cavity wall insulation.

I am planning to repaint the pebbledash walls. They are white at present but we are changing to a cream colour. However after some rain recently I recently noticed a dark patch had appeared on the external wall between the front two windows. On closer inspection the paint was what I can only describe as soft. If you run your finger along the wall it leaves a yellow residue. When the wall dries the dark patch disappears. But again if you rub the wall you get a powdery yellow residue.

Can anybody advise on what they think the issue may be. Could it be a damp issue? Although there doesn't appear to be any damp on the internal wall. Or is it just some poor quality paint or painting?

Grateful for any advice.

Attachments

• 1716269828354.jpg
    1716269828354.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
How big is the patch. It might be rust. I have, on a couple of occasions, seen rust marks in newly dashed walls. In theory, a spot prime with an oil or shellac based finish should suffice- but it is not guaranteed to work.

Hi opps. It's a relatively large space. Around three foot across by six foot high.

Just run my finger along it again. It leaves a white residue on my finger and a yellow streak on the wall. The yellow streak disappears after a short while. All very odd.

Can you take photos from further out?

I agree that it sounds odd- for what it is worth- I am a decorator

Sponsored Links
Apologies for the delay in replying.

I went to take a picture but as the weather was dry the wall looked blemish free.

I'm going to use a stabiliser and then paint the wall with a good quality masonary paint.

Incidentally, the (empty) bungalow next door has a similar issue in exactly the same spot. Some of the neighbours seem to think it is a problem caused by the cavity wall insulation.

If it was felt the cavity wall insulation was a potential issue with the wall would it be better to use a water seal rather than a stabiliser? And can you use masonary paint over water seal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back