External panels for a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to build a shed with this type of external effect. Can someone please advise what these boards are?
upload_2020-7-22_20-54-17.png

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is there some thing that’s thicker and wider than the feather edge we use for fences?

Fences, assuming they're not the pre-manufactured panels, are typically feather edge cladding. You could use shiplap, that's a step up from feather edge. Or proper timber cladding. Or go with something like Marley Weatherboard, a popular and economical alternative to timber.

Sponsored Links
What are these panels? I am looking for something more natural than the timber cladding option

By natural I was referring to them not being machine formed. The last image has uneven ends and knots. That’s the sort of thing I am after

You can get them with uneven ends, knots and cracks galore - you will be the woodyards favorite customer of the day asking for that lot :)

Of course, they won't be very weather tight, but you could have, say roofing membrane behind them to stop most of the rain that blows through the gaps, or make your shed out of ply, batten it, and then fit your ornamental distressed timber over that. The ply will also keep out most of the wildlife that sees the gaps as entrances to a desirable home.

If you make the common mistake of nailing through the overlap, every board will crack, looking very bucolic.

I was thinking of building the shed out of studwork which is lined with roof membrane, followed by a thin sheet of plywood and finally, the featheredge for aesthetics.

Is this what you would recommend or is this excessive?

Not fashionable, but they call that "waney edge" board.

It's a recognised forestry product made by sawing the logs with the bark still on.

Usually quite thick.

Don't know how it's priced.

I was thinking of building the shed out of studwork which is lined with roof membrane, followed by a thin sheet of plywood and finally, the featheredge for aesthetics.

Is this what you would recommend or is this excessive?

I would, with insulation between the studs. Not fibreglass because mice nest in it.

I'd have the membrane outside the ply, because ply will delaminate if it gets wet.

Have the bottom two cladding boards fixed with non-rusting screws and easily removable since these are the ones that will rot first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back