weatherproof padlock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an external shed and the padlock has become very difficult to lock and unlock due to weathering and rust, etc. Can someone recommend a decent padlock for these conditions please?

Sponsored Links
There are loads out there, I have a wickes one that is stainless steel
I also have one side of a hot water bottle fixed over it to keep the weather off

Have tried many types but most succumb to damp weather, wd40 once a month seems to work though.

Squire model 660, widely available, not expensive, can be keyed alike if you have several sheds).
(they sell the same design in smaller models)

It has a galvanised steel case, the internal workings are brass levers, quite large and do not bind or corrode.

Water drains through it.

Lasts for scores of years.

Never had one stop working.

The steel hook is quite substantial.

You can throw it in a bucket of paraffin ever ten years or so to wash out dirt.

You can spray the outer galvanised case with paint to prevent it getting shabby.

For more valuable lockups, you can get the ERA and similar 6-lever big padlocks. Again, the brass levers don't rust and the outer is steel. Sometimes Wickes sell ERA locks as own-brand, but you'll find the maker's name stamped on the keys.

You can still get the old Chubb models (now branded Union) as used on jewellers shutters, but they cost a hundred or more.

Squire
660.jpg

ERA
Era-212-Big-Six-2T.jpg

Union (Chubb)

there are other brands that might be cheaper, but check the specification for brass levers and bronze or stainless internal springs.

IME lever locks last much longer than cylinders, and have fewer weaknesses.

Sponsored Links
Squire model 660, widely available, not expensive, can be keyed alike if you have several sheds).
(they sell the same design in smaller models)

Been using two of these for over 30 years, both totally exposed to wind and rain, and both in as new condition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back