External PIR lantern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking for a lantern that will come on only at night (NOT 'dusk' or gloomy days, but night!); will be movement activated but not by passing cars at the end of the short drive, and stay on for the length of time I prefer (which may vary).

So
* lux sensitivity adjustment
* distance sensitivity adjustment
* time on adjustment

2 out of 3 is easy - finding all 3 is hard.

I finally found an ebay supplier, and tracked down the manufacturer:

http://www.jcc-lighting.co.uk/PDFs/Catalogue22/Lanterns/Lynton-Lanterns.pdf
(edit 2013: this link no longer works as the product is discontinued)

This appears to do the job, though the seller is not sure, and even the email answers from the manufacturer are vague (not used to direct customer contact!?)

Anyone heard of them? Got an opinion on the spec?

Sponsored Links
They are fine.
Set the lux level to the moon or - symbol, it will only trigger in total darkness.
Set the sens level at mid to - so it wont be triggered by traffic/animals

So, 2 years on.

I bought the lantern and it did exactly what I wanted, especially the adjustable 'pan/tilt' PIR that allowed the range/direction to be precisely adjusted.

But the PIR has stopped working and the light now just stays permenantly on.

The model I have is discontinued. I've looked around extensively, and cannot find another lantern with all 3 functions I need.

So I am considering getting a stand-alone PIR. Would it be possible/difficult to wire in a seperate PIR to activate the light?

eg this one here: http://www.screwfix.com/p/140-standalone-pir/11291#

I see that PIRs seem to vary from 1000W to 1200W to 2000W. Which do I need?

(Alternatively does anyone know of another landtern with flexible lux, time, range?)

Cheers!

Are you sure its broken? After being outside for the last two years we've had, being permanently soaked unless I was frozen up and then snowed on, I think I'd lose the will to live.

With the power off, I'd be tempted to make sure all connections are clean, sound and tight. One of those little "fibreglass brush/pens" are great for cleaning coonections up.

Sponsored Links
I've had it open, and checked the line in.

However, since the light comes on I know the mains connection is OK. Its the PIR switching that is clearly at fault since the light stays permenantly on, but the internal connections to the PIR are inaccessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back