External wall lights and PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having problems finding an external wall light, the normal type that looks like a carriage lamp or lantern, with it's own integral PIR that allows me to adjust the sensitivity of the PIR. I have one which has adjustments for length of time the lamp is on and also for daylight/dark adjustment but I'm sure I've seen some with an adjustment for sensitivity in addition to those. i.e. to stop the lamp coming on if a leaf or a moth flies by.

TIA for any help on this.

Sponsored Links
Consider using a lamp without an integral PIR and controlled by a separate PIR

Main advantage is that when the lamp fails (or the PIR fails) only one item has to be replaced.

Use this PIR https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/STIS180B.html and failed PIR is un-likely. Easy to adjust sensitivity and the area it reacts to.
Thanks for that. I have read some of the technical and installation documents applicable. The PIR appears to work on infra-red heat detection rather than obstacle movement detection. Do all PIRs work on this principle ?

The PIR appears to work on infra-red heat detection
Yes, it stands for Passive Infra-Red.

rather than obstacle movement detection.
Obstacle is a curious choice of word.
They detect variation in Infra-Red caused by movement.

Do all PIRs work on this principle ?
Well, yes, otherwise they wouldn't be PIR detectors.

There are also Micro-Wave motion sensors.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it stands for Passive Infra-Red.

Obstacle is a curious choice of word. Sorry, should have used "object"
They detect variation in Infra-Red caused by movement. But is it the movement of an object that only has heat ? If so, why do leaves trigger the light ?

Actually I believe I have a light that is faulty. It comes on for no apparent reason during the hours of darkness and I was looking for a sensitivy option to adjust but there isn't one so I was going to replace it with one that has but can't find one.

I have a driveway alarm that triggers a buzzer in the house and that works by motion detection through a beam and not heat detection and I thought that PIR lights worked in the same way.

Actually I believe I have a light that is faulty. It comes on for no apparent reason during the hours of darkness and I was looking for a sensitivy option to adjust but there isn't one so I was going to replace it with one that has but can't find one.
The integral sensors might not have such a function but some of the stand-alone ones do. Adjustable sensitivity.

This one - although I can't find anything stating how it works.
https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Steinel-IS-1-Motion-Detector/36-2511

If there is a warm object behind the leaf then as the leaf moves across the scanned area the leaf will create an IR shadow that the PIR might react to.

No, I didn't mean that.

I meant there was no information as to what the sensitivity adjustment actually achieved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back