External pump to 'help' tired combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old combi boiler with a weak pump and could easily fit a new pump externally, in addition, not as a replacement.
Can anyone please tell me if this is OK?
(I have already fitted an external expansion vessel successfully when the existing, inaccessible one failed).
Helpful advice will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for quick response, it is a Jaguar 24KTVJ15 but I do not use the direct water heating circuit as the Central Heating circuit also heats a conventional HW cylinder with Programmer, Zone valves etc.
Additional radiators in an extension prove to be too much for the pump to circulate effectively.
When I have to replace the boiler I will not install a Combi again so I was hoping to boost the circulation until then???

sounds like new radiators have unbalanced your heating system, (or its been piped up wrong)

from cold turn the heating on, walk round the house seeing which rads get hot 1st, turn lockshield on those rads right down, check all the rads and again turn down lockshields of hottest rads (this time not as much)
keep doing this until youve pushed all the heat along

Oh forgot to say before you do all that, turn all rads except those which arent working off, open lockshields on those ones fully and then run the heating. If those problem rads dont heat up even with all the other rads off dont bother with my above advice, no amount of balancing will fix that

Sponsored Links
Many thanks, yes I followed your advice and the remote ones now get hot. I guess that means the pump is ok so thanks again for yours and the previous advice, much appreciated.

Hi Mike
glad you got your system sorted, but just to add as others will view your post , you can not add a secondary pump to a combi boiler as the boilers PCB decides when the internal pump should be running and if you wired a secondary pump it would most likely pull the PCB internal fuse, if you just wired the second pump to an external electrical source it would confuse the sensing components within the boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back