External render on property with no DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my property (built circa 1800) has no damproof course. The exising render reaches the concrete path (and possibly below, as clearly the ground has been raised over the years). The building inspector mentioned about cutting off some of the render (which is sound) at ground level and painting on some bitumen proofing. I didnt mention the lack of DPC at the time, but am now wondering if there would be any benefit in going to the hassle and expense of removing some of the render as he has suggested?
The paths are all sloping so any render chipped off would highlight that as it would need to be on a sloping line too!
(Due to long-standing movement of the house, the structural surveyors who have been involved with other bits at my home, both suggested doing as little groundwork as possible to reduce chance of any new movement, so Im not planning on doing anything with the relatively high level paths etc)
As far as Im aware, only the chimney walls show any signs of dampness/cold spots, which I think are things Ill have to live with.
So back to my question .. would it be a worthwhile exercise chipping off the bottom line of render and painting in bitumen, as I dont have a DPC?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
An 1800 house is surely listed - where are the Conservation people in all this?
What structural work has been done? Has all other work finished?
I dont know because I'm not a SE but the idea that dropping path levels will affect the property stability sounds a bit far out? "groundwork" in my world generally means working below ground eg trenching.

Would you post pics of both side of the wall(s) in question?
And pics of both sides of "the chimney walls"?
Is the interior FFL higher than the outside ground level?
Do you have suspended floors or solid - or a mix of suspended & solid?

Yes to chipping off but pics of the render and paths would give far more info. Its a common practice to follow sloping ground.
No to bitumen paint.

Hi Tell. Thanks so much for coming back to me :)
Nope, house is not listed. So no conservation people necessary.
There has been a single brick side extension added at some point in the distant past, and I have had removed an unsafe conservatory/extension. Plus goodness knows what else over the years.
Structural work such as replacement of rotten supporting beams etc, replaced with rsjs. Replacement roof on side extension. New bathrooms, kichen, windows, electrics, plumbin... its been a complete renovation - a complete nightmare.
Structural work inside all done and now just patio and driveway to tackle.
Chimneys all had issues, which have now been addressed so im hoping that will over the summer, continue the drying process of years of leaks. Fingers crossed!
Floors are a mixture of solid and wood. A teeny bit of flex is felt in the wooden floorboards on the ground floor but neither my carpenter (who i rated very highly), nor my plumber could spot any sign of rot or damp - so Ill live with that as is. (Underlay and carpet have pretty much negated that now too).
Yes the whole of the outside of the property is considerably higher (1ft in places) than inside. (Air vents have been protected so still effective). The whole garden slopes down to the house, so Ill be putting in some drains to catch some run-off, while doing the patio.
Back to my equiry .. Ive literally just spoken to a different building inspector who confirmed benefit of chipping off existing sound render would not give much, if any, benefit as there is no damp proof course. (As mentioned, the other inspector didnt know there is no DPC). So thats a massive relief as, for the sake of my mental and financial health, I need this merry-go-round to stop spinning :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back