External render questions (with a pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am in the process of having an extension built. My original house is rough rendered (not sure how)

Anyway, in order to match in the new extension I propose the following:

Get some scaffold up and remove the entire side of the rough render.

Then get someone in to render the whole side with a smooth render.

Sounds simple to me, but I'm no expert and wanted some opinions.
Would this be achievable?
Would it look fully uniform?
Might it cause me problems I didn't expect?

I realise that this will be a time consuming task, but I'd rather remove the render to save money.

Here's a quick photo

Also, can anyone give me the average cost for smooth render per Sq meter

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Can't see any issues with this. Just make sure that you tell the scaffolder what you intend so that he knows how to set it up :)

As above.

OP, Do you intend to apply external insulation?

Use bell casts above all frames/tile creasing's, & DPC's.

Modern renders, aka synthetics, are typically used nowadays. google up some finish pics?

Quite how you will save money by removing an elevation of what looks like perfectly good render is a mystery?

Sponsored Links
Hi fella if possible square all your windows and doors with stainless angle beads. Try and drop the building in one without using drip beads as they hold water and will go black aventually. Whatever finish you put on it.

jd67stella,

I understand what you are saying but no way is it worth sacrificing the bell cast or drip stop simply because the projection will get dirty before the remainder of the wall render.

PVC bell casts are absolutely essential for my two pee, otherwise you risk water running back into reveals or background.

Agreed that some modern renders are applied very thin but they still need at least a drip stop (as recommended by Render Mfr's).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back