External render advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i recently had a hip to gable/dormer and small timber frame extension carried out and I am pondering my render options.
We are planning to render the new gable end and timber frame side extension with silicone render for maintenance reason.
The remaining original section of wall at the rear was rendered with sand and cement render and is approximately 15-20mm thick.
We are planning to extend at the back and alter the side window in the picture to a doorway, although this is unlikely to be in the immediate future.

It has been suggested that I should hack off the render to the immediate right of the window (Boiler side) creating a straight edge from the window to the floor, then having a bead/join along the top of the window to the far left of the image. The remainder of the render can then be removed and sorted once the rear extension is sorted.

How am I best to deal with this? Is it best to remove the all of old render before rendering the entire side elevation?
How will it be affected by the creation of a doorway later down the line? will it need major repairs or can it be touched up successfully?

Sorry about the image, it's all I had to hand.

Thanks Tony

upload_2021-5-24_15-35-13.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back