External render repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have water getting into my house that I just bought, makes me pretty sad but reading plenty other posts of people in same position. Im 95% certain it water getting in from the rear external wall, you can see there was a gutter leaking spilling water onto the wall for a long time, this has damaged the render behind the pipe which I plan to replace to get behind and also carry out a repair.

Firstly, what are the thoughts this is where the water is getting in from. There no longer signs of damp on the walls upstairs since the gutter fix. And the positioning of the damp all points to the back pipe area being the cause (its positioned directly behind the soil pipe where some some of repair has been attempted without removing the pipework.

Second, there's a small opening formed where an old opening has been sealed up (a door I believe). Im going to fill this, should I still get an angle grinder in there and make the crack larger to enable me to fill it better.

Appreciate all of you who fight the good fight!

Attachments

• IMG_20220519_151125.jpg
    IMG_20220519_151125.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20220519_151133.jpg
    IMG_20220519_151133.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20220519_151136.jpg
    IMG_20220519_151136.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20220519_151058.jpg
    IMG_20220519_151058.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
Water has got behind the render on both walls.
Remove the pipework, after making alternative WC arrangements, & knock off the external render to both walls back to masonry.
Re-render with a 3:1 sand & lime render.
Use plastic corner beads at openings - and plastic Bell Casts over the lower openings.
Re-arrange the plumbing on renewal.

Water penetration of probably solid exterior wall has damaged the interior plaster - knock the plaster off both walls and render with 3:1 sand & lime render (dont use gypsum plaster).
Maybe there's water damage to the ceiling as well?

Be certain that the gutter is now sound - the fascia board appears to be damaged/rotted?

Is removing it completely necessary? If I fix where its getting in and it dries out, what's the risk if I dont replace it? Facia is plastic so not rotten fortuntakey, I had actually had plaster redone as part of tanking downstairs because of rising damp on internal walls. Growingly worried that the previous owner already tried to fix the problem bit could never get to bottom of it. But the wall been re plastered and leak came back so surely mean water still getting in, and position of it all points to damage behind pipework.

you need to be sure theres no leak in the soil pipe inside the wall.
you can remove and patch repair any loose render , but would have to be like for like . That looks like cement render to me.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I plan to look inside the attachment to toilet when we take it off the wall. I'll buy the part just in case its needed. The damps dries out as soon as there's a period of dry weather though, which makes me very confident that the cause is external water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back