External socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I have had a landscaper in who has knocked off my external 240v socket from the wall at the rear of my property. It was already isolated but rather than disconnect, they cut the wire at the rear of the socket, giving me only 2-3 or so inches to play with to replace. What are my options to replace? Can I join a cable inside the new external socket and if so do I need a specific type of connector or can use use standard choc bar type ones?
Any help would be appreciated. It’s spured off a ringmain and rcd protected inside the house.

Sponsored Links
Does this cable go straight through the wall into the socket? If there's still enough to get comfortably into the socket's box then you could do as you suggest and extend it with a standard connector block inside the socket's box.

If you could get at the cable inside the house and replace it 'from source' with a longer bit, that would obviously be the best solution.

Kind Regards, John

Yes it does, there’s enough to get in the box and strip back but not then to take it to the connections on the back of the socket. I can’t replace the wire from the spur, it’s in a wall and not easy to get too without pulling a kitchen apart!
Thanks for your help!

Yes it does, there’s enough to get in the box and strip back but not then to take it to the connections on the back of the socket. I can’t replace the wire from the spur, it’s in a wall and not easy to get too without pulling a kitchen apart!
Fair enough. In that case, as I said, just extend the wires within the box, using a connector block, Wago connectors or anything like that.

Assuming that it's 'twin+earth' cable, you need to put some green/yellow sleeving over exposed bare bits of the 'earth' wire (if you don't have any sleeving, you may be able to use the insulation from a stripped bit of flex).

KInd Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have had a landscaper in who has knocked off my external 240v socket from the wall at the rear of my property. It was already isolated but rather than disconnect, they cut the wire at the rear of the socket, giving me only 2-3 or so inches to play with to replace. What are my options to replace?
Get the idiots back and tell them that unless they make good the damage they did you'll seek redress in the courts.

Have you paid them yet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back