External supply finding...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to start digging foundations close to the point where my electrical supply comes into the house. I think it may run under the area I want to dig, is there a device or tool I can use to check?

Would rather not chop through it, is there some sort of convention? Like always comes from the street side or neighbour to the left?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
You need to pop to your local hire shop and get yourself a CAT scanner. There are various ways of using them but all should be explained in the manual.

Your DNO may be able to help, which I would consult anyway.

1/ Talk to your DNO as they should have a record of the route that you can get from them.

When you have done that

2/ Hire a cable locator from your local contractor's hire shop. Read the instructions carefully before use and practice before relying on it.

3/ Do NOT use mechanical means of excavation within 1m of the route of the cable, be careful using pick axes as well

Further information can be found in the HSE guidance HS(G)47 actually more folk should read this prior to digging holes

Sponsored Links
[Understatement of the decade]Would rather not chop through it[/Understatement]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back